Prepare your working area
Before starting and handling your chain saw you need to make sure your work area is safe.
You need to take the following precautions as a minimum:
- Chain saws produce toxic exhaust fumes as soon as the engine starts running. These gases may be odourless and invisible. Never use your power tool in an enclosed or poorly ventilated space. Always make sure there is adequate ventilation.
- Check the floor of your workplace. Remember there is a risk of slipping on wet surfaces, uneven terrain or on freshly stripped wood (bark).
- If anyone else is nearby, especially children, keep them at a safe distance.
When you have fuelled your STIHL chain saw you are ready to start it.
In your own interest you should observe the following safety instructions with regard to your starting location:
- Always move at least 3 metres away from the refuelling location.
- Check your working area for any obstacles (such as branches). Always have an escape route available for emergencies. Slippery, uneven or icy surfaces can be hazardous and should be avoided.
- Also make sure there is no-one nearby. However, you should never work alone and you should always ensure that someone else - who can help in an emergency - is within a close distance.
Once you have observed these precautions, you can start your chain saw: Starting procedure.