Spring is in the air, bringing with it warmer days and the opportunity to get back in the backyard after a long and wet winter. If your garden is looking a little tired and overgrown, then now is a good time to give it some love and attention. Your kids (and pets) will thank you!
Here are our handy tips to help get your backyard back into shape:
- Spring means play time and entertaining alfresco is back on the agenda, so it's important to give your outdoor furniture and any swings or cubby houses a quick spring-clean. Timber pieces may need to be varnished or oiled, and seating given new covers.
- You should also make sure your barbecue and paved areas are clean and ready to use. Use a high-pressure cleaner like our RE 109 to get rid of winter remnants like moss and weeds. It has great cleaning power and will remove even the most stubborn dirt.
- Prune any dead flower heads, leaves, stems or stalks from perennials to allow for new growth and take out any old or dead plants. Just remember to hold back on pruning plants that flower in spring, such as roses.
- Tidy out-of-control hedges or overgrown thickets with a trimmer like our HSE 42 to get them into the perfect shape for spring.
- Many weeds thrive in the warm spring sunshine so get rid of any early ones straightaway. Pull them out at the root or keep them at bay with an organic herbicide.
- As soon as your lawn dries out and growth surpasses 5cm it's time to start mowing! Mow areas of lawn or trim tight spaces with ease with a grass trimmer like the FS 38 or get your hands on our brand new cordless, battery powered lawn mower RMA 370 - a great option for the environmentally conscious that is easy to use. With either of these options, lawn care becomes an easy and comfortable affair.
- You might also like to aerate the lawn with a garden fork and use a rake or blower to remove debris. Then fertilise and water the soil in any bare spots and sprinkle grass seed over them. Finally, trim close to the edges of the lawn for a neat finish.
- Last but not least, get the family involved. Whether you need some helpers with the gardening and general maintenance or just some company – get your kids outdoors with you and enjoy the fresh spring air together!
For more information about the products that could make it easier for you visit our product page.